A low-sugar, Grain Free and Vegan Cake Pop made with Hu Chocolate and Erin Baker’s Grain Free Better Cookies!
Whether you’re looking for a low sugar snack or are just trying to enjoy a delicious treat our new Grain Free Better Cookie is a great option for everyone. We’ve found them to be an awesome secret weapon in the kitchen for making simple dessert recipes! Have you seen the Vegan Ice Cream Cupcakes Erin made with a Better Cookie crust? Using the Better Cookie you can add a great flavor and some nutrition to your favorite homemade treats. These No-Bake Paleo Salted Chocolate Cake Pops don’t take a lot of prep or ingredients and the result is a delicious, clean and indulgent treat.
Using 8 Better Cookie’s and about ¼ cup of almond butter this recipe will create 12 tablespoon sized cake pops. You can make a batch for late night snacks, parties, or anything really! They store well in the freezer so you won’t have to eat them all at once. I know my family all appreciate having extra healthy treats on hand these days, I am sure yours will too! Between the Better Cookies and the Hu Chocolate, each cake pop contains about 4 grams of sugar. Have you ever had a cake pop with such low sugar that also has nutritional benefits? What a win-win!
If you want to keep this treat paleo friendly, Hu brand chocolate is a great choice. Their bars are both Paleo and vegan and they come in so many delicious flavor varieties like Vanilla Crunch, Crunchy Mint and our favorite Salty Dark Chocolate. If you have another chocolate bar or chocolate chips you prefer to use, go for it! We chose to use Hu’s Salty Dark Chocolate to bring out the salted hint in the Better Cookies and the combination is magical. Don’t forget to top them with even more salt to keep that flavor on the tip of your tongue.
When you’re making these, be cautious of putting in too much almond butter. The recipe calls for ¼ cup of almond butter and 8 Grain Free Better Cookies, we found this mix just right. Almond butters do vary in consistency so if you end up with a super runny mixture add more Better Cookies to help thicken it up. If you prefer you could also use cashew butter, tahini, or coconut butter depending on what you have in your pantry. The Grain Free Better Cookie is made with almond butter so this flavor combination was perfect! If you do switch things up and use a different nut butter just add a small amount at a time and taste it along the way to make sure the flavor is where you want it to be. Coconut butter tends to be a lot less runny so you may need closer to ½ cup. Tahini on the other hand is usually very oily and would probably only need 2-3 tablespoons total.
Traditionally cake pops are made using little white sticks but you can also use popsicle sticks if you don’t have any cake pop specific stick on hand. We used these Lollipop Sticks at Michaels. If you don’t want to use sticks at all you can simply use a spoon when dipping them in the chocolate and enjoy them as truffles. The sticks can be a little tricky when you’re trying to dip the balls into the chocolate. We recommend you freeze the cake pops for about 20 minutes before inserting the sticks, then add a little liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or coconut nectar to the tips of the stick before inserting them. The sweetener acts as a glue and keeps the cake pops from falling off when they’re dipped into hot melted chocolate. Freezing will also help to solidify the fatty almond butter and Better Cookie mixture to keep the shape of your cake pops.
Another tip on the Chocolate – the recipe calls for a shot glass or tall, thin glass to melt the chocolate. I used one of our Erin Baker’s shot glasses. You’ll want to make sure it’s a microwave safe container. Using just one chocolate bar, you want to make sure you don’t waste any and this small jar is the perfect size to dip the cake pops in, easily covering the whole surface without sacrificing all of the chocolate to the sides of a wider bowl.
No-Bake Paleo Salted Chocolate Cake Pops Recipe
- 8 Grain Free Better Cookies
- 1/4 Cup Almond Butter (or other nut or seed butter)
- 1 Hu Chocolate (or 2-3 ounces of any other chocolate)
- 12 Cake Pop Sticks (optional)
- 1 tsp Liquid Sweetener (Maple Syrup, Coconut Nectar, etc.)
- Flake Salt – to sprinkle on top of finished cake pop
- Crumble 8 Grain Free Better Cookies into a medium sized bowl.
- Mix crumbs with almond butter until well combined sticky texture is formed.
- Form the mixture into 12 balls equally sized and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Dip your cake pop sticks into your liquid sweetener one at a time, placing one stick into each cake pop. Freeze for an additional 20 minutes.
- Melt ½ a chocolate bar at a time in a shot glass or other thin, tall jar for 30 seconds or until fully melted.
- Remove cake pops from the freezer and dip and swirl one at a time into the chocolate until completely covered. Place them back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Once all cake pops are dipped, sprinkle flake salt on top and place back in freezer for at least 5 minutes for the cake pops to solidify.
Customer Experience Coordinator | Erin Baker's