Rainbow Confetti Coleslaw Recipe with Tangy Dressing
Many Different Colors is the Key to a Great Coleslaw
I don't know about you but I grew up with Coleslaw. My mom made a lot of variations of this crunchy, flavorful salad to go with sandwiches, burgers, fish and chicken or even as a meal on its own!
There are a few tricks to coleslaw that are very helpful to know:
- Toss your coleslaw as you need it. One of the yummy parts of traditional coleslaw is the creamy, sweet and sour dressing. If you dress it you will have to eat it immediately, otherwise the 'sog' sets in. I always make extra coleslaw and keep it (undressed) in the fridge for meals throughout the week.
- For the 10 minute version coleslaw use a FOOD PROCESSOR like a Cuisinart. This takes a lot of the work out of it! Use the slicing blade for veggies like cabbage, celery, yellow and red peppers and the grating blade for carrots.
- To make coleslaw a vegetarian meal add black beans, garbanzo beans or French lentils (found in the bulk grocery section). If you choose to use lentils, cook ahead of time and add when cool.
- Lots of different color is the key to great coleslaw! Let color be your guide when it comes to choosing your veggies.
My mom's creamy coleslaw dressing is a hit with kids and adults alike AND I put my healthy twist on it of course! You can make this dressing ahead of time and keep it in the fridge... remember, toss coleslaw with dressing right before you serve it. This is a wonderfully sweet, tangy and creamy dressing.
My Coleslaw Dressing:
- 1/8 C mayonnaise or veganaise
- 1/4 C plain yogurt or kefir
- 2 tsp sugar (add more if you like a sweeter dressing)
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar (add more if you like a tangier dressing)
- 1 tsp celery seeds or chia seeds... or BOTH!
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
*adjust any of the ingredients to your liking
Confetti Coleslaw Mix:
- 1 whole head green cabbage
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 C snap peas
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper
- 3 green onions
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 C sunflower seeds
- Grate and chop ingredients, then mix together in a large bowl
Have fun and be creative! This is a GREAT WAY TO EAT MORE VEGGIES!